History of the Wallingford Center

Home / About / History of the Wallingford Center
Wallingford Center History

Seattle’s Wallingford neighborhood has a rich maritime history that dates back to the early 1900s. Boasting tree-lined streets and an urban Pacific Northwest vibe, the neighborhood is home to Wallingford Center, a 53,000 square-foot mixed used complex filled with independent retailers, restaurants, and services. The three-story, wood-framed structure built in 1904 was once home to the original Interlake Public School and is now a historic Seattle landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Wallingford Center Historic Interlake Elementary School
Photo Credit: J. Mark Griffith


The school closed in the 1970’s and was re-developed by Lorig Associates in the mid-1980’s. Tonkin Hoyne Lokan Architecture designed the conversion of Interlake Elementary school into the mixed-use facility it is today which includes a mix of retail and residential space.